One of my favorite parts of summer is it being cherry season. I was looking for a way to have my cake and eat it too. What better than to make a pie that has a custard pudding filling and put my favorite fruit in it.
This was refreshing and light to eat. I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe. I would make this again! I am so excited to have had this recipe.
Makes about 6-8 servings
20 oz fresh sweet cherries, stemmed and pitted
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 cup milk
3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp almond extract (or 3 drops of almond essence)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a round 10 inch (26cm) baking dish with butter. Dust with about 2 tbsp of sugar.
2. Arrange the cherries in a single layer; set aside until you prepare the batter.
3. Mix eggs with remaining sugar and salt. Stir in flour. Add milk, vanilla extract, almond extract and mix well until well blended. Add melted butter and stir to combine. The result is similar to crepes mixture.
4. Pour the mixture over the cherries.
5. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Cool on a rack for few minutes while it deflates. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. Serve warm or chilled.